Volunteer Income Tax Assistance – VITA
Free tax assistance is available at Goodwill for low to moderate-income families filing the EZ form.
IRS certified volunteers will be available at the Goodwill office located at 301 Hill Street in Lufkin during the tax season, February through April 15.
Volunteers will prepare the following forms: Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A with schedule 1, 2, 3, & EIC, Form 1040 with schedule A, B, EIC and R, Form 1040-V, Form 1040-S, Form 2441, Form 8663 and Form 8812.
Residents are asked to bring the following information:
• Proof of identification
• Social Security cards for the entire family
• Birth dates for each family member
• Current year’s tax package, if one has been received
• Wage and earning statement(s), Form W-2, W-2G, 1099R, from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks
• A copy of last year’s Federal return, if available
• Bank routing number and account numbers for Direct Deposit if a return is expected
• Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number – which is either the provider’s Social Security number or the business Employer Identification Number
• To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
It is extremely important to have the correct Social Security numbers, Nancy Bledsoe, Executive Director, said. We do not want a delay in the filing of someone’s return due to names and Social Security numbers not matching.
Also, Goodwill is asking employers to make their employees aware of this free service.
This is an extremely important service for our community, and we want to be sure everyone knows we’re here and ready to help.
For more information and to find out the dates for the 2010 tax season, call Goodwill at (936) 632-8838.